Mode of travel
If a private automobile is taken on a business trip for the personal convenience of the traveler, reimbursement will be made either on the basis of applicable mileage plus subsistence or what would have been coach-class air travel plus applicable subsistence expenses, whichever is less.
Travelers must use coach class (or less) fares unless otherwise authorized by UCAR, or unless the use of other accommodation is required for medical reasons. The use of other accommodations for medical or other reasons must, except in emergencies, be approved in advance by UCAR. Any international travel (including Canada and Puerto Rico) MUST be booked through Cain Travel. All air travel must be by U.S. flag carriers to the extent that service by such carriers is available. Travelers are permitted to book their own domestic flights and submit for reimbursement or flights may be direct billed to UCAR by booking travel though Cain Travel.
The use of a private automobile on official business will be reimbursed at the current (2018) federal standard mileage rate of $0.545/mile or the equivalent airfare whichever is less. The use of a private automobile for travel beyond 500 miles total distance requires prior approval by UCAR.
The actual, reasonable cost of rental cars is a reimbursable expense. Collision and liability insurance for a rental car is NOT necessary, and therefore not a reimbursable expense, as coverage will be provided for both physical damage to the vehicle and for third-party liability through UCAR's insurance. UCAR will cover additional charges for a GPS system. However, UCAR will not cover additional charges for a second driver or satellite radio. Be sure to include the receipt for your rental car with your other receipts even if your car was direct billed to UCAR.
DISCOUNT SHUTTLE SERVICES: For Boulder Travel Only
Discount are available for UCAR/NCAR employees, family and visitors as a benefit of the Employee Activities Committee.
- Green Ride Boulder
Reservations can be made on their website.
- $25.00 to and from the HUB (on Foothills and Baseline). This reflects a $3.00 discount on regular pricing. Each additional passenger is $12.00.
- $30.00 to all NCAR/UCAR addresses on file. This reflects a $8.00 discount on regular pricing.
- $35.00 to all residential addresses in Boulder and Gunbarrel. This reflects a $3.00 discount on regular pricing. Each additional passenger is $12.00.
- $30.00 to all hotels. This reflects a $4.00 discount on regular pricing.
- Boulder SuperShuttle
Reservations can be made on their website or through the call center at 800-BLUE-VAN. For 2018, the roundtrip fare for a direct, non-stop ride to Boulder is $84.000 The roundtrip fare for a premium sedan-curbside pickup (three passengers) to Boulder is $110.00 (this includes a $5.00 discount with code "NCAR1"). The roundtrip for premium SUV-curbside pickup (five passengers) is $130.00.
Reasonable lodging expenses will be reimbursed at cost on submission of receipts. Unusually high claims for lodging will require a statement explaining the circumstances. If UCAR makes your hotel reservations, the hotel will be directly billed to UCAR.
Meals and incidentals
Most meals are provided during the meetings so a per diem allowance may be used by the traveler in lieu of the itemization of actual costs of meals and tips. Please note that tips for shuttle or cab drivers are now allowable expenses. Per diem rates are based on federal guidelines for the location of the meetings for the full allowance for meeting days and for 75 percent of allowance for travel days, except for the October Board and Membership meetings. The per diem rate for the October meetings are $30/day for full days and $45.75 for travel days.
A traveler on official UCAR business will be reimbursed for certain miscellaneous costs incurred when itemized on a travel expense reimbursement expense report, and approved.
Miscellaneous expenses under $50.00 do not require a receipt; however, if you have receipts the travel office requests that you submit them with your other receipts. These expenses include:
- Reasonable ground transportation charges e.g., taxis and shuttles, tips associated with ground transportation
- Baggage fees
- ATM fees
- Internet connection fees while on UCAR business
- Parking expenses incurred while conducting UCAR business
- Highway tolls: The collection of toll road fees, between Denver International Airport (DIA) and Boulder, has changed. If you drive a rental car on the toll road, the toll fee will either be charged to your credit card or a billing statement could be mailed to you. However, most travelers are not aware of the charge until a month or more after their trip has completed; this also usually occurs after the traveler has submitted their expense report to UCAR for payment. Therefore, in order to avoid having to revise and re-submit travel vouchers for reimbursement of toll road fees, UCAR will allow a $36.00 claim for toll road fees. This expense may be claimed on the voucher, without having to submit a toll fee invoice.
- Itemized telephone calls in connection with official business. Allowable calls include, change of itinerary, “safe arrival," one personal call per week.
Miscellaneous expenses that require a receipt include:
- Rental car fuel
Travel accident insurance
All UCAR travelers are insured under UCAR's Travel Accident Insurance Policy. Costs for other travel insurance will not be reimbursed.
Entertainment while traveling
Any cost for entertainment for self or colleagues while traveling is not reimbursable.
Image files (.jpg, .pdf) of your receipts should be submitted via email to Brian Jackson within a maximum of two weeks after the completion of the trip. The email must list all expenses to be reimbursed and include image files of all associated receipts. An UCAR expense report will be prepared for you to review and approve via email. Following your approval, your expense report will be submitted to the UCAR Travel Office for final audit and payment. An expense report must be submitted for all trips that include any portion of the trip that was direct billed to UCAR, including rentals cars, hotel rooms, and flights.