Modes of travel
Travelers must use coach class (or less) fares unless otherwise authorized by UCAR, or unless the use of other accommodation is required for medical reasons. The use of other accommodations for medical or other reasons, except in emergencies, must be approved in advance by UCAR. All air travel must be by U.S. flag carriers to the extent that service by such carriers is available. Travelers are permitted to book their own domestic flights and submit for reimbursement or flights may be direct billed to UCAR by booking travel through Cain Travel. Any international travel (including Canada and Puerto Rico) MUST be booked through Cain Travel.
The use of a private automobile on official business will be reimbursed at the current (2019) federal standard mileage rate of $0.58/mile or the equivalent airfare whichever is the lesser of the costs. The use of a private automobile for travel beyond 500 miles total distance requires prior approval by UCAR.
Loss of time resulting from the choice of a slower means of transportation, such as car or train, when faster commercial air transportation is available should be minimized.
The actual, reasonable cost of rental cars is a reimbursable expense. Collision and liability insurance for a rental car is NOT necessary, and therefore not a reimbursable expense, as coverage will be provided for both physical damage to the vehicle and for third-party liability through UCAR's insurance. UCAR will cover additional charges for a GPS system if necessary. However, UCAR will not cover additional charges for a second driver or satellite radio. Be sure to include the receipt for your rental car with your other receipts even if your car was direct billed to UCAR.
DISCOUNT SHUTTLE SERVICES: For Boulder Travel Only
Discounts are available for NCAR/UCAR employees, family, and visitors as a benefit of the Employee Activities Committee.
- Green Ride Boulder
Reservations can be made on the NCAR/UCAR website. Please use this website as the greenride.com website does not offer the discounted rates.
- $38.00 to and from the airport to anywhere in Boulder. This reflects a $4.00 discount on regular pricing. Each additional passenger is $10.00. Each additional passenger after the 2nd passenger is $5.00.
- Boulder SuperShuttle
Reservations can be made on their website or through the call center at 800-BLUE-VAN. For 2019, the round-trip fare for a direct, non-stop ride to Boulder is $96.05. The round-trip fare for a premium sedan-curbside pickup (three passengers) to Boulder is $101.75. The round-trip for premium SUV-curbside pickup (five passengers) is $120.75.
The Skyride bus runs to/from DIA to/from various locations in Boulder. The fare is $10.50 each way and the buses run every hour from 3:12 a.m. (from Boulder) to 12:55 a.m. (from DIA). To get between DIA and Boulder, take an AB bus route.
Reasonable lodging expenses will be reimbursed at cost on submission of receipts. Unusually high claims for lodging will require a statement explaining the circumstances. If UCAR makes your hotel reservations, the hotel will be directly billed to UCAR. Members are encouraged to stay at the contracted hotels.
Meals and incidentals
Most meals are provided during the meetings so a per diem allowance may be used by the traveler in lieu of the itemization of actual costs of meals and tips. Please note that tips for shuttle or cab drivers are now allowable expenses. Per diem rates are based on federal guidelines for the location of the meetings for the full allowance for meeting days and for 75 percent of allowance for travel days. The per diem rate for the October meetings are $66.00 for full days and $49.50 for travel days.
A traveler on official UCAR business will be reimbursed for certain miscellaneous costs incurred when itemized on a travel expense reimbursement expense report, and approved. Miscellaneous expenses under $50.00 do not require a receipt, except for fuel for rental cars. These expenses include:
- Reasonable ground transportation charges e.g., taxis and shuttles, tips associated with ground transportation
- Baggage fees
- ATM fees
- Internet connection fees while on UCAR business
- Parking expenses incurred while conducting UCAR business
- Highway tolls: The collection of toll road fees, between Denver International Airport (DIA) and Boulder, has changed. If you drive a rental car on the toll road, the toll fee will either be charged to your credit card or a billing statement could be mailed to you. However, most travelers are not aware of the charge until a month or more after their trip has completed; this also usually occurs after the traveler has submitted their expense report to UCAR for payment. Therefore, in order to avoid having to revise and re-submit an expense report for reimbursement of toll road fees, UCAR will allow a $36.00 claim for toll road fees. This expense may be claimed on the expense report, without having to submit a toll fee invoice
- Itemized telephone calls in connection with official business. Allowable calls include, change of itinerary, “safe arrival," one personal call per week
- Tips for shuttle or cab drivers are now allowable expenses
Miscellaneous expenses that require a receipt include:
- Rental car fuel
Travel accident insurance
All UCAR travelers are insured under UCAR's Travel Accident Insurance Policy. Costs for other travel insurance will not be reimbursed.
Entertainment while traveling
Any cost for entertainment for self or colleagues while traveling is not reimbursable.
Image files (.jpg, .pdf) of your receipts should be submitted via email to Gete Bond (email@example.com) within a maximum of two weeks after the completion of the trip. The email must list all expenses to be reimbursed and include image files of all associated receipts over $50.00. A UCAR expense report will be prepared for you to review and approve via email. Following your approval, your expense report will be submitted to the UCAR Travel Office for final audit and payment. An expense report must be submitted for all trips that include any portion of the trip that was direct billed to UCAR, including rental cars, hotel rooms, and flights.
If you have questions related to the meetings, please contact Brian Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org).