UCAR Strategic Plan
The University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) manages the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) on behalf of the National Science Foundation and the university community. UCAR Community Programs (UCP) provides education, professional training, scientific data and services, and scientific program support. UCAR serves as a hub for community discussion and action and provides national leadership across academia, government labs, and the private sector.
Earth system science for a better world
Leading world-class Earth system science through partnerships, innovation, and service
Community • Creativity • Excellence • Inclusivity • Integrity
Provide exemplary management of NCAR and UCP.
- Maintain a modern, effective, and efficient infrastructure together with business systems and practices that enable world-class research, promote collaboration, and support community needs.
- Provide an environment that embraces innovation, inclusion, and respect.
Be an advocate, convener, and enabler of the community to advance scientific breakthroughs that solve complex Earth system science questions.
- Amplify the capabilities of innovation for efforts that lie beyond the scope of any single institution.
- Facilitate partnerships among NCAR, colleges and universities, and the public and private sectors.
Enable the transition of Earth system science research to operations and applications, resulting in the support of lives and property protection, economic development, and national security.
- Provide state-of-the-art scientific, computational, and data facilities that meet the needs of stakeholders across the weather, water, and climate enterprise.
- Extend the research and impact of Earth system science research by leveraging investments through partnerships and collaborations.
Be an employer of choice in Earth system science by promoting a welcoming, innovative, and inclusive culture that maximizes the talent, skills, and diversity within the broad Earth system science community.
- Be an exemplar of diversity and inclusion, learning from and sharing best practices within and beyond our community.
- Provide relevant, fair, comprehensive, and proactive policies that reward and value each person's contribution.
Champion and extend Earth system science education and outreach.
- Provide activities that enrich education and training of the next generation, fostering an environment that increases the size and diversity of the talent pool in Earth system science.
- Extend the reach and engagement of our world-class scientific research to improve public and student literacy and career pathways.