True Colors is an Employee Resource Group at UCAR for LGBTQ+ staff and allies. We strive to provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for staff to share their experiences and feel empowered. We also act as a representative of our staff to advocate for changes that support inclusivity and equity in our organization.
We believe it is essential to support LGBTQ+ scientists, engineers, and professionals in the Earth system sciences, who have always been a part of our community and have contributed to groundbreaking research and discovery in service to society. Unfortunately, LGBTQ+ staff have not always been afforded the opportunity to be themselves in the workplace, in the face of discrimination and exclusion on the basis of their sexual and/or gender orientation. We thank those trailblazers who came before us who made it possible for us to be our authentic selves today, and we recognize the need to continue working on making our workplace and the Earth system science community more inclusive and welcoming for all.
True Colors welcomes all gender and sexual minorities, regardless of how ‘out’ you are, or how sure of your identity you are. While we frequently use the term LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning), we value the diversity of our community and the full range of gender and sexual identity expression. We also welcome our allies, whose support has been, and will continue to be, essential in ensuring that LGBTQ+ staff feel safe and welcome at UCAR.
True Colors exists to support LGBTQ+ staff at UCAR, engage with our allies within Earth system science and our local Front Range community, and educate our staff in order to build an inclusive and diverse workforce, in support of UCAR’s core values.
We aim to achieve this mission by:
- Providing recommendations for institutional policies and initiatives to UCAR|NCAR leadership to address issues that LGBTQ+ staff encounter
- Hosting trainings, workshops, and AMAs, and distributing educational materials for all UCAR staff
- Participating in LGBTQ+ events in Boulder County (such as Boulder and Longmont Pridefest)
- Engaging with our members at monthly meetings and social events, to provide a safe space for True Colors members to be themselves and share concerns
- Maintaining our LGBTQ+ resource guide to share with LGBTQ+ staff and allies
- Collaborating with other UCAR employee resource groups and LGBTQ+ focused organizations within Earth system science
Full membership is available for all UCAR|NCAR employees (interns, term, casual, visitors, and full) who identify as LGBTQ+ or allies who support people who identify as LGBTQ+. Affiliate membership is available for non-UCAR|NCAR employees. For more information on how to become a True Colors member, see our True Colors Sundog page (staff login required). UCAR's Code of Conduct applies to all participants at all times.