The success of the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research, a consortium of institutions organized to foster and facilitate research in the atmospheric and related sciences, depends greatly on the participation of the individual member representatives who serve as a formal link between their member institutions and UCAR. Representatives keep university colleagues informed about UCAR activities, serve on UCAR governance committees, and represent the university perspectives and positions to UCAR.
Two representatives, often one from the member’s administrative staff and one from academic staff, are appointed by the institution’s chief executive officer or his/her designee. The length of term is decided by the university. UCAR member representatives:
- Participate in the annual meeting of UCAR members by representing the positions of and acting on behalf of the member institution and by discussing issues and voting for the election of trustees, new members, and members eligible for reelection, as well as bylaw amendments.
- Identify substitute representation at the Annual Members Meeting, if needed. If one or both of the member representatives are unable to attend the meeting, the chief executive officer of the member institution may assign substitutes at any time by formally filing notice to that effect with the UCAR President’s Office. The member representatives should identify a suitable substitute and coordinate the appointment with their institutional administration. (See a sample substitute letter template.)
- Convey results of annual meetings to and seek opinions of colleagues at the member institution on UCAR issues, policies, and actions.
- Forward information from the UCAR President’s Office to colleagues within the member’s institution, including e-newsletters such as the UCAR Currents and messages from the UCAR president.
- Maintain contact about the concerns of the member institution with the UCAR president, the chair of the UCAR Board of Trustees, the chair of the President’s Advisory Committee on University Relations, or other committee or board members.
- Collect and forward to the Members Nominating Committee all recommendations of potential candidates to become trustees or serve on member committees.
- Serve as the point of contact with the UCAR governance and university relations to prepare and submit the institution’s membership renewal application.
- Respond on behalf of the member institution to UCAR inquiries, questionnaires, surveys, etc.
- Provide material when appropriate for inclusion in UCAR publications.