This two-year award provides financial support for graduate school and two summer internships. The internship is based at UCAR in Boulder, Colorado, with UCAR’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. UCAR strongly believes that increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the sciences is critical for maintaining a strong and vibrant workforce and doing our best science. The Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion focuses on programs that increase the representation of diverse individuals in the sciences, programs that improve the workplace culture to be welcoming and inclusive for all, and programs that integrate diverse knowledge and ways of thinking into our science and education programs.
This fellowship is for graduate students who intend to finish their Ph.D. in the atmospheric and related Earth system sciences and are committed to championing increased diversity, equity, and inclusion in our field. We recognize that there are many ways to become diversity, equity, and inclusion champions, and therefore welcome applicants who intend to pursue a scientific research career and also applicants who intend to move into full-time diversity, equity, and inclusion work upon completion of their Ph.D.
The UCAR Next Generation Fellowship in Diversity and Inclusion is intended for graduate students:
- attending a North American university
- having U.S. or foreign citizenship
- from underrepresented populations (see definition below)
- holding an undergraduate degree in atmospheric science or a related Earth system science, such as one of the other geosciences, chemistry, computer science, engineering, environmental science, mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or social science
- planning to actively pursue a graduate degree in atmospheric or related Earth system science, and having a strong interest in becoming champions for diversity and inclusion in the geosciences