University Relations Committee Meeting

Meeting Agenda

University Relations Committee Meeting
21-22 April 2004
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa


Tuesday, 20 April
6:00pm   Dinner for URC members. Aunt Maude’s, 547 Main Street, Ames, Iowa.
6:00 to 6:30 cocktails; 6:30 dinner
Meet in the hotel lobby at 5:45 to carpool.

Wednesday, 21 April
Agronomy Building, Rm. 3140

8:00 am   Continental Breakfast will be available.

8:15 1. Convene the meeting — John Merrill, URC Chairman
Welcome, Introductions, Agenda review

8:20 2. Opening Remarks — Rick Anthes, President of UCAR

8:25 3.

October 2003 Meeting Notes — URC Chairman will ask for approval of the notes from the last URC meeting.

Action: Approve the meeting notes.

8:30 4.

Review of Non-Core and Non-NSF Proposals – Stephen Monismith,Chairman of the proposal review subcommittee, will report on the review ofNCAR non-NSF and UOP non-core proposals submitted from July through December 2003. The subcommittee also will make a recommendation on the proposed threshold increase of reviewed proposals from $50K to $100K. In addition, the draft FY2003 NCAR Non-NSF Funding Report is included for your review. This report will be included in the overall URC report to the Members for the Annual Meeting in October.

Action: Receive the report of the proposal review subcommittee. If appropriate, approve the change in the threshold of reviewed proposals.

8:45 5. NSF Report — Cliff Jacobs, Head, UCAR & Lower Atmospheric Facilities Oversight Section, ATM/GEO, will report on NSF items of interest.

9:00 6. BASC Study and Recompetition — UCAR President Rick Anthes will report on the upcoming BASC study and the recompetition for the Cooperative Agreement for the management of NCAR. Time is allotted for discussion. The BASC resolutions and Statement of Task are included in the meeting folder.

10:00 Break

10:15 7. NCAR Reorganization — NCAR Director Tim Killeen will update thecommittee on the progress of the NCAR reorganization and discuss the impacts the reorganization will have on the universities. Background information is included in the meeting folder.

11:15 8. NCAR and UOP Level of Effort Allocation Study — Rick Anthes will report on this study to roughly estimate the level of effort dedicated by UCAR and NCAR to areas such as E&O, community facilities, community support and research and development.

12:15 Lunch

1:15pm 9.

Biogeosciences Panel — The following Iowa State faculty panel will discuss biogeosciences as a basis for policy-making relating to managed landscapes.

Cathy Kling, Moderator — Economics
Bill Batchelor — Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
Steve Fales — Agronomy
Bill Simpkins — Geological and Atmospheric Science

2:45 Break

3:00 10. Members’ Meeting Agenda Planning Discussion — Rick Anthes and John Merrill will lead the discussion. To facilitate discussion, a memo providing the context as well as a proposed agenda are included in the meeting materials. This agenda reflects discussions among the URC Chairman, Board of Trustees Chairman Kelvin Droegemeier, past Chairman of the Board Leo Donner, Rick Anthes and Jack Fellows.

5:00 Recess

5:30   Reception for URC and invited faculty and staff. Reiman Gardens – (On Campus. 3/4 mile walk from the meeting room. Walking and driving directions will be available at the meeting.)

Thursday, 22 April

8:00 am   Continental Breakfast will be available.

8:15   Members’ Meeting Planning Discussion, continued

9:15 11. Liaison Reports — Reports will be given by Jim Hansen (CGD liaison), Michael Morgan (SCD liaison), Ken Pickering (ACD liaison), and Sepi Yalda (ESIG liaison).

10:00 Break

10:15 12. Faculty Fellowship Report — Tim Killeen will update the committee on this program.

10:30 13. Climate @ Home — URC member Jim Hansen will report on this project, the idea for which was sparked by conversations with the URC last October. This project aims to use massive ensembles of complex coupled climate models (based on NCAR’s CCSM) to help quantify the uncertainty associated with projections of climate change. These massive ensembles will be generated through public participation, providing a mechanism to both educate the public and give them a sense of ownership of the climate change problem.

10:45 14. Open discussion on the previous topics or topics not on the agenda.

11:30 Adjourn

~end of agenda~
Meeting Questions? Contact: Susan Warner <>
Website Questions? Contact: Michelle Flores <>
Last Modified: 2004-04-13 11:45 -07