UCAR > Communications > Staff Notes > October 1997 Search

October 1997

A quick guide to workers' compensation

Workers' compensation is the benefit employees don't realize they have until they need it. It's been several years since we've addressed this topic in Staff Notes Monthly, so, courtesy of Human Resources (HR), here is a summary and reminder of the procedures to be followed if you suspect an injury or illness is related to work. For your bookmarking ease, this feature will remain on the Web at both Staff Notes Monthly's Web site, http://www.ucar.edu/communications/staffnotes/9710, and the HR site, http://www.fin.ucar.edu/hr. If you have further questions, please contact Cyd Perrone, ext. 8710, or Colleen Clark, ext. 8706.

Under workers' compensation laws of Colorado, a company may designate a provider to manage treatment for all work-related injuries. UCAR's designated provider is the Meadows Medical Center (MMC), 499-4800, located in the Meadows Shopping Center, Foothills Parkway and Baseline Road. The MMC's hours are 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

All Boulder-area employees (including those at Jeffco and Marshall) suffering from work-related injuries requiring medical attention (see below for exceptions) must obtain such services from the MMC. Their staff will prescribe a treatment plan designed to rehabilitate and return you to work as quickly as possible. If necessary, the MMC will refer you to recommended specialists.

In Boulder

When an illness or injury requires medical attention:

Treatment: If the illness or injury requires more than basic first aid, go to the MMC as soon as possible for treatment. Upon arrival, identify yourself as an employee of UCAR. The MMC recommends that you call for an appointment, although walk-ins are accepted. Keep in mind that Mondays and lunch hours tend to be the busiest times for the MMC. In case of an extreme (life-threatening) or after-hours emergency, go to the nearest medical facility for treatment. Supervisors should notify HR as soon as possible in such circumstances.

Notification: For all work-related illnesses or injuries, even those requiring only basic first aid rather than the MMC services, you must complete a First Report of Injury form and return it to Cyd Perrone (FL2). The form, available from HR or your supervisor, may be completed either before or after your initial visit to the MMC.

Financial responsibility: You have no financial responsibility for treatment at the MMC if the illness or injury is determined to be work-related. The MMC will send bills to UCAR for processing with our new workers' compensation carrier, Argonaut. Prescriptions may be filled at any pharmacy. Please have the pharmacy contact Argonaut, 694-3131, or Cyd Perrone, ext. 8710, to verify coverage.

Out of town

If an illness or injury occurs while traveling on UCAR business or while you are based at a UCAR facility outside Colorado, you should receive medical assistance, as needed, wherever you are located. Notify HR as soon as possible.

Is it work-related or not?

Occasionally, it may not be immediately apparent that an illness or injury is work-related. If you have any doubts, contact the MMC for an appointment as soon as possible. Unless it is an emergency, do not have your personal physician begin treatment.

If you go to the MMC before it is clear that an illness or injury is work-related, the charges will be held until the MMC clarifies the nature of the illness or injury. Generally, the charges incurred during this period are paid in full by Argonaut. If the illness or injury is then determined not to be work-related, you must return to your personal physician for treatment. In this situation, the subsequent charges will be handled by your regular insurance carrier. •

In this issue...
Other issues of Staff Notes Monthly


Edited by Bob Henson, bhenson@ucar.edu

Prepared for the Web by Jacque Marshall