UCAR Staff Notes masthead
Home Our Organization Research News Center Education Community Tools Libraries
About Staff Notes
Past Issues
Favorite Photos
How to Subscribe


staff notes header

May 2005

Questions and suggestions from the staff to management may be submitted in confidence to the Delphi Coordinators Teresa Rivas and Nancy Wade. They should be submitted in written form, preferably via interoffice mail in a sealed envelope marked confidential. They must be signed. Detailed procedures for submitting questions are given in the UCAR Policies and Procedures Manual, section 4-1-2, and on the Delphi Web site. Staff Notes Monthly publishes questions and answers of general interest to staff, and the Delphi Web site has a log of all questions submitted since 1995.

Delphi Question #533 (received April 4): Does the organization have a policy regarding an employee’s responsibilities during an office relocation? During a recent move, I was asked to move many large pieces of office furniture. It occurred to me in retrospect that if I were injured during these activities, UCAR may have some liability.

Response (April 18): This is a great question. If moving large items is not in your job description, don’t do it!

Logistics Operations is responsible for conducting and coordinating office moves. It has the tools and manpower to safely move large and heavy items. Logistics Operations staff will ask for two working days of advance notice to make staff available for small moves. Larger moves require more planning, and may involve the use of subcontracted professional staff.

UCAR staff are responsible for removing personal items from their offices before a move. Also, we ask that they pack files, journals, etc. into boxes provided by Logistics Operations. Boxes should be packed lightly to lower the risk of injury to Logistics Operations staff. Kerry Slaven is responsible for coordinating office moves. He can be reached at ext. 1151 or slaven@ucar.edu.

UCAR is responsible for providing medical care to employees who are injured at work. Work-related injuries must be reported to your supervisor and to the Health, Environment, and Safety Office (ext. 8556). We pay for medical care via our Workers Compensation insurance. Our goal is to work safely and prevent injuries from occurring so that we don’t need to use the insurance, but it is there when needed.

—Milenda Powers, manager,
Health, Environment and Safety Services

—Kerry Slaven, manager,
Logistics Operations

Also in this issue...

Playing it Safe

Spring Fling '05

SERE news

UCAR casuals

Taking the LEAD

Delphi question

Just One Look

Staff Notes home page | News Center