Test your knowledge!
How much do you know about UCAR and NCAR? Tackle the 23 questions below and you may be surprised. Answers are here. (All file photos are from the NCAR Imaging and Design Center.)
(1) What was the first name proposed for NCAR?
___ (a) University Center for Atmospheric Research
___ (b) National Center for Atmospheric Study
___ (c) National Institute for Atmospheric Research
(2) How much of an increase in support for basic atmospheric research did the blue-ribbon Committee on Meteorology of the National Research Council suggest in 1958?
___ (a) 15 to 25%
___ (b) 25 to 50%
___ (c) 50 to 100%
(3) Which of the states below was not considered as a first possibility for NCAR's location?
___ (a) Indiana
___ (b) Oklahoma
___ (c) North Carolina
___ (d) New York
(4) According to the referendum passed by Boulder voters on 31 January 1961, what would happen to the Mesa Lab site if it were to be used primarily for purposes other than atmospheric research by UCAR and NCAR?
___ (a) It would be opened to development
___ (b) It would become part of city open space
___ (c) It would become state property
___ (d) It would become NSF property
(5) Which of the following was not considered as an alternative use of Table Mountain before NCAR was built?
___ (a) Drive-in theater
___ (b) Luxury housing development
___ (c) Higher education center
___ (d) Hunting preserve
(6) NCAR's first major computer was a Control Data 3600, acquired in 1963. How much central memory did this machine have?
___ (a) 256 kilobytes
___ (b) 4 megabytes
___ (c) 16 megabytes
___ (d) 64 megabytes
(7) Which of the following was the first NCAR division (excluding HAO, which predates NCAR and UCAR)?
___ (a) Laboratory of Atmospheric Sciences
___ (b) Climate Dynamics Laboratory
___ (c) Advanced Study Program
___ (d) Atmospheric Physics Division
(8) Staff Notes published its first cafeteria menu on 5 May 1967. The entree for 8 May included broiled flank steak, vegetable, potato, bread, and butter. How much did it cost?
___ (a) 55 cents
___ (b) 65 cents
___ (c) 85 cents
___ (d) 95 cents
(9) The Max C. Fleischmann Foundation of Nevada granted $100,000 in 1967 for construction of the Fleischmann Building. For which program was the building originally designed?
___ (a) NCAR director's office
___ (b) Advanced Study Program
___ (c) Environmental and Societal Impacts Program
___ (d) UCAR president's office
(10) Which Woody Allen film was shot partially on location at the Mesa Lab?
___ (a) Take the Money and Run
___ (b) Bananas
___ (c) Sleeper
___ (d) Love and Death
(11) Which was the first Canadian university to join UCAR?
___ (a) McGill University
___ (b) University of Toronto
___ (c) University of Saskatchewan
___ (d) University of British Columbia
(12) When was the first videotaping of an NCAR lecture?
___ (a) 1967
___ (b) 1971
___ (c) 1975
___ (d) 1977
(13) NCAR's CRAY-1 supercomputer arrived in 1976. How much did it weigh?
___ (a) 0.75 tons
___ (b) 2.25 tons
___ (c) 4.25 tons
___ (d) 5.25 tons
(14) Which of the following buildings has not been used as a site for NCAR and UCAR staff?
___ (a) The Vectra Bank building, 14th and Walnut
___ (b) The Hotel Boulderado, 13th and Spruce
___ (c) The CU Armory Building, University Drive
___ (d) The Colorado National Bank building, 55th and Arapahoe
(15) Which of the following modes of transportation has not been proposed or used to bring people to the mesa on a regular basis?
___ (a) Helicopter
___ (b) Cog railway
___ (c) Aerial tram
___ (d) Hitchhiking
(16) Which of the following heads of state have been to the Mesa Lab?
___ (a) Lyndon Johnson
___ (b) Pierre Trudeau
___ (c) Margaret Thatcher
___ (d) All of the above
(17) When was the first computer network established that allowed interdivisional e-mail and file exchange?
___ (a) 1975
___ (b) 1978
___ (c) 1981
___ (d) 1985
(18) Which of the following misrepresentations of Table Mesa Drive have appeared on packages addressed to the Mesa Lab?
___ (a) Cable Mesh
___ (b) Table Miss
___ (c) Fable Mesa
___ (d) None of the above
___ (e) All of the above
(19) For what offense was a Mesa Lab employee ticketed in 1977 after commuting to the mesa on horseback?
___ (a) Double parking
___ (b) Speeding
___ (c) Violating Boulder's leash law
___ (d) Desecrating open space
(20) When, and in which scientific division, was the institution's first Ethernet link established?
___ (a) 1983, CGD
___ (b) 1985, HAO
___ (c) 1986, MMM
___ (d) 1987, ACD
(21) Of the three aircraft managed by the Research Aviation Facility in 1990, how many still routinely support NSF investigators?
___ (a) Three
___ (b) Two
___ (c) One
___ (d) None
(22) What percentage of UCAR staff does NCAR now comprise?
___ (a) 81%
___ (b) 77%
___ (c) 73%
___ (d) 64%
(23) What percentage of current staff (excluding casual employees) began working here before 1975?
___ (a) 3%
___ (b) 6%
___ (c) 8%
___ (d) 11%